Thursday, October 1, 2009

Momma and the misuse of quotations marks

Momma:
An accomplished dancer, teacher, smartass, and jaguar (a.k.a.old ass cougar) who is known for her “eccentric” attire, joy for life (as well as cocktails and parties), and saying exactly---and I do mean exactly--- what is on her mind. She is a recently retired 5th grade teacher (after 30 years), a sleepwalker, and many a gay has described her quite simply as “fabulous”.

Quotation Marks:
The primary function of quotation marks is to set off and represent exact language (either spoken or written) that has come from somebody else.


Momma and Quotation Marks:
As a 5th grade teacher, one who spend 30 years molding the minds of our youth during a significantly important developmental stage in their life, you would think she would have a good grasp of the proper use of quotation marks. Nay.

The following is an excerpt from a card I received from Momma.

In this card she thanks me for being a wonderful “big sister” to The Gray Lining. She then later tells me I am a amazing daughter and that she is “proud” of me.

Had this note been written to a friend of The Gray Lining’s who was older but they were very close saying “big sister” would have been a proper use of quotation marks, however….I am in fact The Gray Lining’s older sister. So can I assume that she is actually proud of me and not “proud” of me?

In the end, momma defended her improper use of “” by saying they give a sentence flair.

“Nice” save Momma.

3 comments:

  1. This direct quote is from momma, telling Pattycakes and I that our relationship might not be made up of two people... perhaps one person, three people or several people?

    The website is mar-ve-lous ! You "two" are darling together. We are so happy for you and love you both very much !!!

    ReplyDelete