Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Since I'm not independently wealthy...

I’ve always said that I will know I’ve found the right job, or more so the right career, if I wake up most days and say “I get to go to work today”, and only on occasion would I roll over and with a pathetic moan say “I can’t believe I have to go to work today”. Today happened to be the latter of the two, but I’ll blame that on the ick that I have going on right now. Nonetheless, I thought it would make a good topic to approach.

I come from a family of teachers, my gmom on my dad’s side taught elementary, my momma of course just retired after 30 some odd years of teaching pre-school and elementary school and I believe four of my aunts are teachers, toss a cousin who is a pre-school teacher in the mix and we are certainly a teaching family.

I can say with confidence however, that I never wanted to be a teacher growing up. I actually had every intent of playing professional basketball up until at least the 6th grade, then I moved on to marrying money and being a housewife, and finally settled on a career in sports medicine. It wasn’t until the end of my 2nd year in college that I found out that teaching may be something that is ingrained in a person. I still wonder why something more lucrative like medicine or law wasn’t ingrained in me, as those professions were also speckled in my family tree. Nay, I was meant to mold the minds of America’s youth. Don’t get me wrong, I adore my career. It certainly has its perks. I mean, what other profession can you fart whenever you want and just blame it on one of the 30 tiny versions of people who surround you. That in itself almost makes the job. I also have been told that I’m pretty damn good at it and if you’d like a lesson courtesy of A, I’d be happy to teach you how to live on a shitty salary.

Joking aside, somehow I feel as at home in front of a classroom as I do in a living room with my friends. It’s been an odd path to get me where I am, somewhere between the teaching world that for some reason suited me, and the intrigue I felt during physiology class that sent me in the direction of health/medicine in the first place. Wholly, it was a broken road that led the girl pictured below into the career that most days starts by saying “I get to go to work today”, and I wouldn't have it any other way.



An artistic interpretation of 'A'

No comments:

Post a Comment