Monday, November 16, 2009

Zach Brown Band, Ribfest and Natural Selection

The bad news is that it’s Monday, the good news is that I had a great weekend that was topped off by a trip to St. Pete to see the Zach Brown Band. The show was fantastic and if you ever get a chance to go see them I wouldn’t recommend passing it up. That in it’s self would have made for a great weekend but to add a little cherry to my country music cake the show went down at Rib Fest.

There was food, and by food I mean meats covered in bbq sauce as far as the eye could see. We settled on “Desperado’s” delicious bbq for several reasons 1. Awesome song. 2. Medium line- probably means good food, but I wouldn’t have to wait so long I would end up covering the Kissy Faced Booty Shakers arm in bbq sauce and eating it instead. 3. They’re bbq sauce was dispensed out of big Gatorade coolers, that’s just awesome. In the medium sized line we devised a plan of action, divide and conquer. I was to get a full slab of ribs, the Kissy Faced Booty Shaker was to order up half a chicken, and Sweet Little Baby Doll JT was going to round us out with a huge pile of pulled pork. Orders were placed and it was off to the Gatorade coolers to cover our respective meats in the sauce of our choosing. Sounds simple enough, had our first stop not been the beer tent. Beer cup held soundly by my pearly whites I managed to snag not one but two types of sauce. What happened next was disgusting. I ate at around 1:30 and wasn’t really hungry again until about 10pm, it was a massacre. You know what is awesome about ribs?!? They are their own fork.
In the end it turns out our selection process led us to picking the 2nd place finisher in both sauce and ribs so kudos to Desperado’s and kudos to us!

There was also pre-show entertainment in the form of people watching. We arrived early to get a prime spot for the show and as the day went on people worthy of watching filled in around us. A favorite was the redneck just a few spots away from us. He was there for a nap and the show.

Words can’t describe this gem so I won’t even try. I’ll let the picture say as many words as it wants to. What I will say is a just a little something about natural selection. Natural selection is a gift that just keeps giving. It’s hard to tell if it’s just that inbred genes aren’t all that strong, or if the lack of boot and tack stores on every corner are making it harder for this “breed” to survive in the current environment. Maybe it’s a combo of the two, but whatever heritable traits that I and all the clean, educated people possess that are making people like this one tooth wonder slowly but surely disappear I’m a fan of. Evolution, I heart you, you’re favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment