Friday, May 6, 2011

BINGO!

Momma has peaced out of the Sunshine State....In true snow bird fashion she has flown North as Summer has come a'knockin on our door. For her last day here I decided to take off work and do a 'Momma's Favorite Things' day. Not surprisingly that consisted of sleeping in, cocktails, tanning, games she thinks she can beat me at, antiquing, and BINGO! Being old and retired is kinda exhausting, honestly I can't figure out how she squeezes all that in day and manages to do my dishes. While the day from start to finish was wonderful (of course, just in case she's reading this, I was spending time with my favorite Momma) I definitely was more psyched for the activities earlier in the day, namely the sleeping in and tanning. As for the last activity, bingo, don't get me wrong. I like the idea of it, snack bar, opportunity to win money but bingo is intense. I'll just start from the beginning.

The day before Momma's last day in town I sent her an email with the names and numbers of some different bingo places around where I lived. She called and got the skinny of them, liked the sound of one in particular. Probably liked it because Denise, who ran the place, and her chit chatted on the phone for about a half hour. We showed up at 6pm and upon opening the door none other than Denise herself greeted us with Momma! A!, WELCOME! Guessing at this point they don't get a lot of new people. After Denise asked me if I was old enough to legally play bingo (she won me over right there) we were ushered in and introductions began. We were seated with Ann and Betty #2. Yeah, I have to number my Bettys in this story, there were a handful. Ann was a true bingo'er. She had a seat cushion, homemade I'm assuming, which was covered in fabric with bingo cards on it. She had at least 12 dobbers which came in different dobbing sizes. It might be easier to tell you what Ann didn't have in her bag, because if you needed something it was there. Wet nap? Indeed. Hard candies? Hell to the yeah. Ink pen? What color do you need. She knew all the games (Hatpin? 3x3? crazy 8's? lucky leprechaun?), which sincerely did come in handy because this rookie could have had bingo's all night and been none the wiser. Honestly she was my bingo savior. She even had a bingo wallet. It was crocheted and said "Bingo Money" on it. Apparently Betty #3 makes them (Her's said "Betty's Mad Money", I like her she's sassy); I was introduced to her later and told that if I kept coming she would make me one that said "A's Bingo Money". Might be reason enough to go back...well maybe if she makes me one that says "A's Bar Money", that would be pimp.

All in all it although I was anxiety filled through most of the evening it ended up being pretty fun. And I got a BINGO!, and won 35 whole dollars...big winner. At the end of the night Ann was quick to fill me in on another bingo hall she thought I should check out because of the big payouts (100-250) and told me she would see me there.

Not sure I'm ready for the big time, but who knows maybe the next time I buy a round of beers the money will come out of a wallet that says A's Bar Money.

No comments:

Post a Comment